Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Chanukkah everyone!


I don't know about you, but for me, the hardest part about my Chanukkah preparations is remembering from which side the first candle is lit. Of course, I also have trouble remembering how to set the table correctly (fork on the left or right?) Luckily for me someone once told me that "fork" is four letters and "left" has four letters so you can usually see me mouthing these words as I set the table raising my left hand to be sure I know which is which.

I don't have that handy tool for Chanukkah. but luckily I have the internet and can each year check to be sure I have it right. I just checked—and wouldn't you know it it is the far right side. Well from now on, I will simply remember that doing it "right: is to put the first candle on the far "right".

My second problem is remembering the third blessing. For some reason I can always remember the first two but the third one eludes me. it is not that I always forget one of the three, but that I always forget the third one...

So if there are any of you out there with a similar problem. Here are the three blessings for this evening and instructions for the second through eighth night:

  1. First Blessing to Recite
    Borukh Ato Adoynoy Eloyheynu Melekh Ho-oylom Asher Kiddeshonu Be-mitsvoysov Ve-tsivonu Lehadlik Neyr Shel khanuko.
    Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us by His commandments, and has commanded us to kindle the lights of Hanukkah.
  2. Second Blessing to Recite
    Borukh Ato Adoynoy Eloyheynu Melekh Ho-oylom She-oso Nissim La-avoseynu Ba-yyomim Ho-heym Ba-zzman Ha-zze.
    Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the universe, who wrought miracles for our fathers in days of old, at this season.
  3. Third Blessing to Recite (only on the first night of Hanukkah)
    Borukh Ato Adoynoy Eloyheynu Melekh Ho-oylom She-hekheyonu Ve-kiymonu Ve-higgi'onu La-zzman Ha-zze.
    Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has kept us alive, and has preserved us, and enabled us to reach this time.
  4. How to Light on the Second through Eighth Night
    The second night, place two candles in the Menorah's far right (as you face the Menorah) candle holders. Another candle is placed for the Shamash (helper candle). Say the first two blessings above and then light the candles using the Shamash candle. Light the left-most candle first and then light in order, from left to right. Follow this procedure for each night of Hanukkah.
And if you want to practice Maoz Tzur for tonight, you can listen to the song and print out the words here.

Chag Samach everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment