Friday, December 10, 2010

A nice surprise at One of a Kind Vancouver


Violet and I have been visiting local craft shows as a kind of research for our own crafty endeavors.  Today we took a stab at One of a Kind Vancouver. Here is a description from their website: This holiday find everything you need under one roof at the One of a Kind Show and Sale. 250 of North America's most talented artists & designers will showcase unique gift ideas for everyone on your list.

We were both underwhelmed by the event. But there was one very bright moment for me. Almost as soon as we walked in I spied Jeannette Ordas of everybody likes sandwiches and the beautiful project fame. Since I have become quite the groupie for successful bloggers and etsians, I had to go to her booth and introduce myself. I had in fact contacted Jeannette way back last year some time, when I was just discovering etsy and trying to figure out how it all worked. Since she was a local Vancouverite, I hoped to glean some tips from the successful food blogger/web designer/illustrator. I asked her what she did to become so famous. Just like the bubbly gal I met today, here was her lighthearted response:

"Hi Naomi, nice to hear from you. I wonder if you have the wrong person....becoming famous? Not me! For me, my card business is just one of many things I do.  I'm a web designer, a food blogger and a card maker/illustrator (along with wife, bowler, bike-rider, thrifter, traveller, etc.)."

She then graciously proceeded to list some great links that would be helpful to me.
 
It was great to meet face to face and to see that the etsy maven who has sold 1,490 items to date on her etsy site (one card at a time), was an amazingly warm and friendly individual. Of course she didn't remember my email but was very happy to meet me in any case. I learned last week when I discovered Poppytalk that Jeannette is a weekly contributor there as well.

I will leave you with one of her cards—they make everyone (including me) giggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment