Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fresh ideas I can relate to: Noga Yarmar

Copyright Noga Yarmar
I didn't know Noga until a week ago, but it is amazing how much we have in common. Noga has been living in Victoria for about as long as I have been living in Vancouver. And as if it was not coincidence enough that her family is originally from Winnipeg, she herself is a sabra (born in Israel) and a kibbutznick to boot. She grew up on Kibbutz Barkai half way between Haifa and Tel Aviv. So we were sort of living the same distance apart in Israel as we are in Canada.

Noga is an innovative ketubah artist, calligrapher, art educator and fine artist. And like me, she is trying to figure out how to make a go of it in all of these areas. Noga happened on my blog while doing a search for Vancouver ketubah artists and we met for coffee on skype last Friday (don't you love technology!). We had a great time talking about the things we love, and the things we make, and all of the difficulties of putting yourself out there and the hard work it takes to make things happen.

I think for both of us, it was good to feel there are others out there going through the same things. It makes it easier to keep moving forward when there seems to be so many roadblocks in our way (self imposed or otherwise!).

Copyright Noga Yarmar

So I wanted to introduce you to my new friend Noga. These images are of her floor cloths which I adore! Hopefully soon I can show you some of her ketubot (waiting for permission). When we spoke last Friday, she was bubbling with new ideas for so many things. I can't wait to see what she comes up with. No online portfolio yet, but we talked about that too, and I hope there will be an etsy shop for you to enjoy soon.

Thanks Noga for sharing your work and your enthusiasm with me!

Copyright Noga Yarmar

No comments:

Post a Comment